Ok, so forgive me if I already blogged about this. I'm too lazy to look back and check. However, this has to be said and I think it every time I see it! So today I'm at the Migros (our grocery store). I'm alone because Ben is at school this morning. That's not really important to the story, but I do enjoy some time alone. Anyway, the grocery stores in Switzerland are always in the basement. The other shops are on the ground level (shoe store, pharmacy, cafe, pet store, dry cleaner, etc). At our particular store you can actually look down into the supermarket from the ground floor. Along this railing there are always people selling things. For example, CDs, jewelry, shoes, figurines. My all-time favorite though, and this is what I was treated with today....KNIVES. I'm not talking kitchen knives and I'm not talking pocket knives. I'm talking BIG-A$$ hunting knives. Lots of them, all laid out on some portable tables. This guy will be there all week. He doesn't pack up a the end of the day, he just puts towels over the knives. So this morning the guy wasn't there yet, just a bunch of tables with a bunch of knives "hiding" under some towels.
I don't know why, but this completely cracks me up. I shake my head. I say out loud, "no way". I smile big. Every time. Because my next thought is....can you imagine a table of knives outside the Pick N Save? Outside Target? Or even better....in Mayfair Mall?!?! We'd have so many dead people out in the parking lot. And then this makes me sad, because I realize we live in a society where violence is always around the corner. Switzerland feels so "safe". I'm not foolish the think that bad things don't happen here, but I know that I will have to teach my children the reality very soon.
Avery 10 1/2
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment