Man, Dan already uploaded our most recent trip photos and I have yet to blog! We had a whirlwind tour starting Friday, October 16th and we returned on Wednesday, the 23th. The longest roadtrip we've tried with three kids crammed in the back of a wagon. Man, I miss the mini-van. Actually I should say Zoe misses the mini-van, as she was the one stuck in the middle. (The boys tend to beat on each other when Ben is in the middle). Oh and in case you are wondering....Ben only puked twice. Yeah, note to self....the Dramamine doesn't work unless you actually give it to him. I know, shocking.
So Salzburg has been on my "list" ever since I saw The Sound of Music. Many of you may not know that I also performed in a stage production when I was in 8th grade. I was Louisa, the second oldest daughter. It was the the beginning and the end of my career in the theater, sigh. Anyway....who ever loves the movie can understand why one would love to travel to Salzburg and sing Do-Re-Mi just like Maria and the children. I'm thankful that Dan allowed me this indulgence because there is really no easy way to get to Salzburg. There aren't direct flights and the train takes like 10 hours! So the von Elko's embarked on the 7 hour drive.
We arrived and the hills were alive....with the sound of pounding rain. The rain never stopped...for two days! That didn't stop us though, what choice did we have anyway, right?! Highlights included:
1. Running through Mirabell Gardens and reliving my Do-Re-Mi fantasies. We also had fun in the Dwarves Garden (see flickr photos)
2. The kids enjoyed the Salzburg Museum (we were desperate to get out of the rain). The museum had a wonderful Children's guide book and Sam and Zoe loved finding all the special things hidden in the museum just for them.
3. Singing "Silent Night" outside the home of Joseph Mohr. (He was born here in 1792). About 20 seconds into Dan and the kids singing, and me taking a video, the current resident comes outside the house and I burst into a fit of laughter. Busted!
4. Walking down Getreidegasse and stopping to buy Chocolate, blown-egg ornaments, and Sam's hunter's hat.
5. Dan complaining about how lame the Rick Steves' hand drawn maps are and then walking into a restaurant and seeing a photo of the owner with Rick Steves! We had a good meal but had to suffer listening to three American couples try to befriend the owner and take endless pictures with him. Clearly Rick Steves sent them there!
6. Walking in the rain
7. Swimming in the "relaxation" pool at our hotel and seeing naked Germans.
8. Seeing where Mozart was born and lived.
Salzburg is a lovely city and despite the weather we left there with fond memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment