November 8, 2008
I wasn’t as diligent as I had hoped in writing for the blog, but I hope to make up for it on my 3 hr flight back. I had an incredible trip, never did I imagine seeing, learning, and experiencing so much history and culture in only 1 week. More important though, I am most fortunate to have made two very good friends in Hammam Amaireh and Serkan Boynukalin. Their generosity, hospitality, and deep knowledge of their cultures and history were the highlights of the trip.
Travelling on business can be exhausting, but it also allows you to see parts of a country or city, that most tourists never see. Our international customers are typically small business owners similar in many ways to those that I came to know in the US. In Riyadh, I had the chance to meet Mr. Aziz, a young man who had built his father’s pump and plumbing shop into a $100M water business and growing. He was incredibly friendly and insisted that on my next visit I stay for at least 3 days so that I could visit his farm to meet his family, ride camels, and see a more familiar side of Saudi culture. To be invited to into his home was a very kind gesture and I will certainly take him up on the offer. Unfortunately, Mr Aziz’s aunt had passed away earlier that day and he had to drive 300 km to his home city that afternoon for the Islamic burial during the Islamic prayer service.
Dubai was a stark contrast to the conservative Islamic cities in Saudi. We landed around midnight on Wednesday and immediately upon stepping off the plane you realize you are in a land of wealth and prosperity. We arrived in the new international terminal in Dubai and it was incredible. Everything was brand new, there were 50 passport desks, and an enormous duty free area. As an American, it was even easer for me to pass through immigration than Hammam who carries a Jordanian passport and had to purchase a visa on arrival. We drove to Sharjah, which is one of the Emirates bordering Dubai. The construction was absolutely amazing. Hammam told me that 30% of the world’s large construction cranes are located in Dubai and it’s not hard to believe when you see tower after tower being built.
We had a great day of meetings and for lunch they took me to a very good fish restaurant where we bought fresh fish packed in ice and they took it in back and cooked it for us (grilled and fried). It was a fantastic meal.
Travelling on business can be exhausting, but it also allows you to see parts of a country or city, that most tourists never see. Our international customers are typically small business owners similar in many ways to those that I came to know in the US. In Riyadh, I had the chance to meet Mr. Aziz, a young man who had built his father’s pump and plumbing shop into a $100M water business and growing. He was incredibly friendly and insisted that on my next visit I stay for at least 3 days so that I could visit his farm to meet his family, ride camels, and see a more familiar side of Saudi culture. To be invited to into his home was a very kind gesture and I will certainly take him up on the offer. Unfortunately, Mr Aziz’s aunt had passed away earlier that day and he had to drive 300 km to his home city that afternoon for the Islamic burial during the Islamic prayer service.
Dubai was a stark contrast to the conservative Islamic cities in Saudi. We landed around midnight on Wednesday and immediately upon stepping off the plane you realize you are in a land of wealth and prosperity. We arrived in the new international terminal in Dubai and it was incredible. Everything was brand new, there were 50 passport desks, and an enormous duty free area. As an American, it was even easer for me to pass through immigration than Hammam who carries a Jordanian passport and had to purchase a visa on arrival. We drove to Sharjah, which is one of the Emirates bordering Dubai. The construction was absolutely amazing. Hammam told me that 30% of the world’s large construction cranes are located in Dubai and it’s not hard to believe when you see tower after tower being built.
We had a great day of meetings and for lunch they took me to a very good fish restaurant where we bought fresh fish packed in ice and they took it in back and cooked it for us (grilled and fried). It was a fantastic meal.
That evening we went into Dubai and Hammam took me through the city. Many of you have heard about Dubai and the incredible construction projects, but it is really something you have to see to believe. Gigantic shopping centers with indoor ski slopes (see pic), aquariums, and skating rinks. Beautiful beachfront hotels. And the Dubai tower, the tallest building in the world, looming over the city.
The old saying is that everything is big in American, but I know believe that everything is even bigger in Dubai. I believe that every culture and consumer brand in the world is represented in some way in Dubai. What they lack in cultural heritage, they certainly make up for in consumer opportunities and modern architectural wonders. Since my time there was short, I didn’t have an opportunity to really take in the city, but Dubai is certainly a place I would like to return to with Jen and the kids.
The old saying is that everything is big in American, but I know believe that everything is even bigger in Dubai. I believe that every culture and consumer brand in the world is represented in some way in Dubai. What they lack in cultural heritage, they certainly make up for in consumer opportunities and modern architectural wonders. Since my time there was short, I didn’t have an opportunity to really take in the city, but Dubai is certainly a place I would like to return to with Jen and the kids.
1 comment:
Dan fun to read all your posts and your trip sounded amazing! Thanks for sharing some insight and great pics!!
Post a Comment