The Swiss have a strange interest in Native American culture. I bet you didn't know that! I first noticed it a few times when we would be hiking on various mountain trails and we'd come across a tipi (tepee or teepee...apparently various spellings) perched near a rest stop. Didi, our German friend, said they learned about "Indians" in school. And let's not even get into Dan's pictures from his guys' trip to Zurich....that poor Winnatou bust will never be the same. My friend Sandra also winced when the school she works at here in Morges did a Native American unit one month. So now it is Zoe's turn at school. She was supposed to sleep in a teepee tonight up in the mountains, but the trip was cancelled due to the weather. That experience would have been awesome and I feel bad that she didn't get to do it. However, I am now raising an eyebrow at what they are teaching these kids about our country.
One word for you....Hollywood. Seriously, it's all war paint and feathers. It's so bad that you just have to laugh, because seriously it's not even worth saying anything. I guess I'm a bit biased about this having lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota and taken University classes on Native
Americans in both States. It's serious history and culture that isn't taken for granted. I just have this huge BURNING desire to know why the Swiss feel compelled to "teach" this subject. Like I said....it's just bizarre!
No comments:
Post a Comment