That just about sums up Belgium! Janet and I had a great time in Brugge during our three day "holiday". It was so nice to do some sightseeing without the kids. Our kids travel great, but I actually got to enjoy a museum!
We flew out of Geneva into Brussels and then had to take a train to Brugge. I have a newfound respect for Swiss trains. The Belgium trains didn't run on time and the stations weren't as nice. Nothing major, but enough to notice. We had to switch trains and a nice man helped us find our connection. Most Belgians speak English and that was a nice change all weekend. You didn't even have to ask, you could just speak. Flemmish is a crazy language and we cracked up trying to read the street signs.
The cobbled streets were challenging to navigate, but we eventually found Hotel Heritage. It was a lovely hotel and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Dan did a great job picking a hotel for us. After we dropped off our bags we stopped to have a late lunch and discovered one of the many Belgian beers...Kreik Beer. A cherry beer that was so yummy! We had many in the three days we were there.
Janet and I walked and ate for three days straight. It was great! We bought chocolate, lace, and other small gifts for the kids. We also did some clothes shopping which was fun since I'm really missing Kohl's!!! (think of me next time you get a 30% off)
The cathedrals were breathtaking. We saw a Michelangelo "Madonna and Child" at the Church of our Lady and gasped at the vastness of the Basilica of the Holy Blood. The church is famous for its relic of the blood of Christ, which, according to tradition, was brought to Bruges in 1150 after the Second Crusade. This reminded me of the "Davinci Code" and I felt quite cynical, especially being raised Catholic. There's so much they didn't tell me at St. Rita's. But on the positive side we got to see and hear Benedictine nuns chanting vespers at a Begijnhof chapel.
The Flemmish art on display at the Groeninge Museum was enjoyable. It was mostly religious in nature, execept for the one painting that everyone who goes there remembers. It's called Judgment of Cambyses (1498). It depicts a man stretched across a table and skinned alive in a very businesslike manner. The legend goes like this, the man was a judge arrested for corruption, flayed, and then his skin was draped over the new judge's throne....let that be a warning to you.
We finished our vacation with a boat ride along the canals. It was a great way to get off our feet and enjoy the sights one last time. I'm so glad I got to see Brugge. It was never on my "to do" list, but I so enjoyed it. So now I can say I've been to another country in Europe. Cool.
We flew out of Geneva into Brussels and then had to take a train to Brugge. I have a newfound respect for Swiss trains. The Belgium trains didn't run on time and the stations weren't as nice. Nothing major, but enough to notice. We had to switch trains and a nice man helped us find our connection. Most Belgians speak English and that was a nice change all weekend. You didn't even have to ask, you could just speak. Flemmish is a crazy language and we cracked up trying to read the street signs.
The cobbled streets were challenging to navigate, but we eventually found Hotel Heritage. It was a lovely hotel and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Dan did a great job picking a hotel for us. After we dropped off our bags we stopped to have a late lunch and discovered one of the many Belgian beers...Kreik Beer. A cherry beer that was so yummy! We had many in the three days we were there.
Janet and I walked and ate for three days straight. It was great! We bought chocolate, lace, and other small gifts for the kids. We also did some clothes shopping which was fun since I'm really missing Kohl's!!! (think of me next time you get a 30% off)
The cathedrals were breathtaking. We saw a Michelangelo "Madonna and Child" at the Church of our Lady and gasped at the vastness of the Basilica of the Holy Blood. The church is famous for its relic of the blood of Christ, which, according to tradition, was brought to Bruges in 1150 after the Second Crusade. This reminded me of the "Davinci Code" and I felt quite cynical, especially being raised Catholic. There's so much they didn't tell me at St. Rita's. But on the positive side we got to see and hear Benedictine nuns chanting vespers at a Begijnhof chapel.
The Flemmish art on display at the Groeninge Museum was enjoyable. It was mostly religious in nature, execept for the one painting that everyone who goes there remembers. It's called Judgment of Cambyses (1498). It depicts a man stretched across a table and skinned alive in a very businesslike manner. The legend goes like this, the man was a judge arrested for corruption, flayed, and then his skin was draped over the new judge's throne....let that be a warning to you.
We finished our vacation with a boat ride along the canals. It was a great way to get off our feet and enjoy the sights one last time. I'm so glad I got to see Brugge. It was never on my "to do" list, but I so enjoyed it. So now I can say I've been to another country in Europe. Cool.
2 comments:
Your vacation sounds great. Heck, three days without kids sounds great, who am I kidding? ;o)
Creepy story about the man being skinned alive. Eew.
I didn't realize that you went to St. Rita's. My dad and his siblings all went there, too, along with my cousins, until it merged with the other WA schools. My uncle Fred (the youngest of my dad's siblings) would still be older than you, so I doubt you know him. Small world.
Jen I'm glad you and Janet enjoyed your trip. Sounds like the perfect get away with great food, good sites and good company. I hope the adjustment back to 'real life' isn't too traumatic :-)! We'll have to catch up soon!
Post a Comment