Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fribourg


I absolutely love it when we decide to just go someplace on the fly. Dan is absolutely awesome and just finding these great places to see. We are loving our Lonely Planet Switzerland book. It has been our guide to everything we've done thus far. I hope at the end of three years we can say we've done it all!

So because of the weather we got off at Fribourg. It's a fairly big city with 33,000 people and is situated on a river. Now get this, the people on the west bank speak French and the people on the east bank speak German! Crazy! So all the street signs are in German and French. It was pretty quiet for a Saturday afternoon. We walked through the old town and made our way to the Cathedrale de St. Nicholas. Zoe and Sam have such an appreciation for cathedrals. It's really quite touching. They are very respectful and really take it all in. Today we were treated to two different choirs singing. These groups also appeared to be tourists so this was very spontaneaous. The sound was amazing and gave me goose-bumps!

So what cathedral doesn't have a tour that my kids don't insist on getting to the top of? Dan, Sam and Zoe climbed 368 steps to the top of the 74m-tall tower! WOW! Dan said there were great views. While waiting Janet and I lit candles and said prayers for Scott (Dan's dad) and my grandpa, Roy Nicholas.

We headed home, but I can't wait to go back to Fribourg because I know we only saw a hint of the city and there are some amazing bridges there that we didn't see.

Janet and I are heading to Brugge, Belgium tomorrow for three days and can't wait to tell you about our adventures there. They are sure to involve chocolate, beer, and waffles!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At this rate you'll surely have the whole book completed by the time 3 years are up! Heck....you've only been there 3 months...you keep up this pace you'll add a few countries as well! Keep traveling and enjoying. Can't wait to hear about your trip with Janet. I hope it is relaxing!