Saturday, October 11, 2008

Zermott and the Matterhorn


Dan and I drove to Zermott today, without children! It was quite the treat. We left at 7 am and arrived in Tasch around 9:15. From there we took a shuttle into Zermott, because Zermott does not allow cars in their town!! It's really cool, because it's so quiet. The Alpine streets are lined with shops and it was already quite busy that early in the morning.
We found the tourist office and picked up a few maps and set-off. Our friends Travis and Tamanna suggested taking a lift up to Schwarzee paradise, but that lift was closed, so we bought tickets for the Matterhorn glacier paradise. WOW! Paradise, not a tropical paradise, but a snow covered view of the Swiss, Italian, and French Alps....breathtaking.
We took it up to the top...12,700 some odd feet! The crisp, thin air took us by surprise, but we got used to it. The view of the Matterhorn was amazing and the entire skyline...just can't put it into words. I was actually brought to tears for a brief moment because it's a bit overwelming.
Walking on the glacier and watching the skiers was fun. It was quite cold, but we had enough layers to make it bearable. When we finally had enough we headed under the glacier! Yes there is an "glacier palace" about 5 meters under with ice sculptures. Very cool.
After our descent we found a place to eat. We sat outside in the warm sun with the Matterhorn looming over us. I had Rosti (hash browns with bacon and onions), Dan had sausage with carmalized onions and fries, and of course we both had a beer. I regret that we didn't take a picture of this meal.
We then strolled the streets of Zermott and window-shopped. Before we boarded the shuttle we stopped at a bakery to buy Apfelstrudel and Rhubarb Kuchen....YUM! Dan drove home and I must admit...I fell asleep. I woke up in time to see a gorgeous sunset over Lac Leman.
Walked in the house at 7pm, 12 hours after we left. The house was empty and the rest of the family arrived 10 minutes later. We put the kids to bed and here I sit, sharing with you. It was a fantastic day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing....a European adventure without kiddos...was it like a second honeymoon!! Glad you got this chance to relax and do some exploring at your own pace and not have to worry about kids schedules, naps an kid friendly establishments!