Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Employed again!

Well, it's official....I have a job again! Technically I was still employed by MPS for the duration of our stay here. I was on a personal leave. However, I had to reinterview for a position in a school. So on the evening of April 12th I had two interviews via skype. It was an interesting experience. The first interview was at 10 pm with my former school, Milwaukee Sign Language School. It was fun to see the faces of former colleagues. It was a challenging interview with some tough questions. Not only had I not interviewed in ten years, but I've been out of the classroom for two years as well. My second interview was with Rufus King High School. This interview was at 11:30 pm my time! It was really hard because I was a bit tired and nervous!

In the next few days I was offered both positions and then the really hard part came. I initially verbally accepted the position at MSLS. Since moving to Switzerland all I have thought about was getting back there. However, I had this nagging feeling in my gut that I wasn't doing the right thing. Despite all the wonderful colleagues and students there, I just felt that I was needed elsewhere.

The high school program has been in turmoil for some time now. First John Marshall High School, where the program had been for as long as I can remember, closed. The building was reopened as four mini-high schools. The Deaf program reopened as Foster and Williams. Then the program was moved to the 3rd floor of Burroughs Middle School. This school is adjacent to Milwaukee Sign Language School, however, if any of you remember my three years at Burroughs when the DHH middle school program was there....Burroughs is a scary place to be! When I was home in January and visited MSLS I was told that the high school kids were moving over to King. My first thought was, "YES, finally a stable building!"

This is what partially led me to my decision. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm of administration and the special education department of King. I know it won't be easy but I am ready for a challenge! They are looking to me to lead the team and I hope that I can bring a renewed sense of purpose to the high school program and that our 8th graders will decide to stay in Milwaukee and not transfer to the Wisconsin School for the Deaf.

So....come August 16th....I'll be back at work!

1 comment:

AM and the gang said...

Congratulations.....you'll be great!!