I've just returned from four glorious days in the UK. My friend Sandra and I were treated to a four day holiday from our husbands. It was nice to travel without kids for a change and I feel quite spoiled to have done so much extreme traveling in a matter of two weeks! To top it off the weather in London was fabulous! Warm and sunny...no complaints.
It was my first time in London and here are the highlights:
- Harrod's (extreme shopping!!)
- Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. We didn't see much, but holding the camera up on zoom allowed me to get some great shots. The highlight was the military band playing some Neil Diamond tunes!
- The National Portrait Gallery
- Walking through Kensignton Park and Hyde Park
- St. Paul's Cathedral, by far the most gorgeous church I've ever been in and Sandra and I climbed the 528 steps to the top for some amazing views!
- The London Tower and our guided tour with a Yeoman Warder ("Beefeater"). So much gruesome history! Got to see the spot where Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Gray, and many others lost their heads. We also got to see the Crown Jewels...I'm going to resist a lewd comment here.
- Westminster Abbey, the highlight had nothing to do with the actual church. At the end of our time there we saw actor Zach Braff from "Scrubs". I spotted him and then pointed him out to Sandra. We didn't approach him, but must have been staring too much because he left pretty quick and donned a hat and sunglasses! We laughed hard about that one!
- Piccadilly Circus and Oxford Street, great people watching
- Ate an awesome cheeseburger at the Hard Rock Cafe! Also enjoyed Fish n Chips and Steak and Ale pie. Also had gut-rot from too much grease....I still think it was worth it!
- We completely mastered their metro system, the "tube". We always remembered to "Mind the Gap" although Sandra got her purse stuck in the door once.
Our Hotel left a bit to be desired....ok, it was a dump. Not so bad that we had to leave, but provided lots of laughs. We were in a garden room, aka, basement. It was cold and we were supplied a space heater whom we affectionately named Gladys. However, the location was perfect and we didn't spend much time there anyway!
Dan did a great job with the kids...the apartment is another story.....
No comments:
Post a Comment