How can I describe Venice? You simply have to see it to believe it. Completely enchanting and by far one of our favorite places visited so far. Dan booked a fantastic room just two minutes from Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square). We parked our car and took the vaporetto (boat-bus) to the Rialto stop and walked to our hotel.
The kids absolutely loved the canals and watching the gondolas. Chasing the pigeons in St. Mark's Square was a favorite too. Before the trip I had gotten a book called, "Zoe Sophia's Scrapbook - An Adventure in Venice". It is a great children's book guiding you through Venice through the eyes of a child. We used the book to find all the "key" sites.
Like any city that attracts gobs of tourists a year there were plenty of places to buy Venetian masks and Murano glass. That became Dan's joke, "Do you guys know where I could maybe buy a mask or some glass?". So much of the glass/masks are Chinese knock-offs, but we did manage to find a few gems. We stumbled upon a mask shop where the kids got to watch the artist make the paper-mache masks on site. This is where we purchased our family mask. We also did bring home some glass....one authentic piece for sure!
Our pictures will hopefully capture some of the magic. It's really a difficult place to describe. It was almost a city that we were going to skip, I'm so glad we didn't!
No comments:
Post a Comment