Monday, September 8, 2008

Don't Panic....

So today I took Sam, Ben, and friend Sam to the park to feed the ducks. The boys had a blast
doing that and we were probably feeding about 30 ducks. We were across from an ice cream kiosk run by an Italian man who came over and wanted me to translate a text message he had received in English on his cell phone. He spoke little English and kept going back and forth between English and French. Part of the text was in English. Whoever it was from doesn't want to come see him in winter. He seemed baffled and wanted to know if this person was angry. I couldn't help him with that one.

We then wandered to the park. The kids played. We wandered down to the beach where 80 year old women were sunbathing topless. The boys didn't notice, thank goodness. Nothing says sexy like 80 year old, wrinkly, leathery, tanned grannies. Oooo la la.

The highlight of the outing though was Sam, my Sam, locking himself in the public bathroom. He was probably only in there for five minutes, but it felt like a lifetime. He had insisted in locking the door and then he couldn't unlock it. I was trying to coach him how to turn the knob but he just couldn't do it. I only sensed panic in his voice once. At one point he said, "Oh boy, I sure hope I don't have to sleep in here tonight." I noticed that there was a woman in the ticket booth by the pool (which is now closed and gated up). I took a deep breath because I knew I was going to have to ask for help. So I said in French, "Excuse me ma'am, boy, age four, toilet" I pointed towards the bathroom and gestured trying to open a door. Well this woman must not have grandchildren because she gave me an annoyed look and shrugged her shoulders! It is a miracle I didn't jump the fence and strangle her. She called to someone and a man appeared who looked equally annoyed. He gestured to me, "push". He did come out and push on the door and then Sam was able to turn the lock. Obviously Sam wasn't the first person to be locked in there. I gave the man a hearthfelt "merci" and he just walked away. Didn't even smile at Sam. He must not have kids either.

I decided it was time to get home...and fast. Oh, I gave a Polish mom and her kids directions to the grocery store on the way home. At least she was nice. Tonight is my first French lesson. I'm going to ask my teacher how to say, "My son is locked in the bathroom" or maybe, "Do you have a heart?"

2 comments:

Mary McCauley said...

Aren't you just getting adventurous!!! I'm so proud of you. This whole experience will take you through life as a more helpful and compassionate person, helping others in need and getting involved when its sometimes easier to look the other way. I'm trying to picture women in their 80's topless-NOT...
So for the one bad encounter of the day with Sam you helped two people in return. Way to go girl
Good luck with your French lesson tonight. Call us if you need a babysitter for awhile.
Love Mom & Dad xxoxoox

Anonymous said...

Mary said it so well. I can only add my applause. I did laugh out-loud about Sam not wanting to sleep in the bathroom overnight!!