So today was post office visit, part deux. We had another package slip, but I was ready this time with passport in hand. It was about 4 pm and the kids were not to touch the ticket machine. I handed the girl my slip and passport and she brushed off the passport. She didn't want it. However....the package went to another post office (apparently Morges has three). I told the girl in my favorite phrase "Je ne parlez pas Francais" (I don't speak French). Through her pointing at something on the slip I gathered that I needed to pick up this package at a different post office and then she said "Friday". I understood that! So we left, I kinda stood there for a second. Walked a bit, walked back looked at the address on the building, looked at my slip, looked at the map of Morges outside the post office. And then it happened, an angel dressed like an average, lovely woman with two teenage daughters approached me and asked if I'd like help. She had been in the post office and overheard my conversation.
I think I could have hugged her right then and there. She was a local woman from Morges and had just been to Boston for vacation. She said that people were so helpful there (what part of Boston was she in?), and she promised herself that when she returned to Morges she would be more helpful to visitors. She actually went back into the post office with me and asked the clerk why my package didn't come to my post office (I only live like 2 blocks from this post office). Well it was an error and they would get the package to the right place by the next day. The other clerk was going to just let me wander Morges trying to find this other post office that is clear on the other side of town. Hugh sigh of relief.
We chatted for a bit and she talked to the kids. In the end I left with another name, address, phone number and email address! I already emailed to thank her. I'm also hoping that maybe her daughters could be future babysitters? Her one daughter is in her second year of German.
So guess what, we get to go back to the post office tomorrow...
Avery 10 1/2
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment