Dan and I took Zoe to her orientation today and Ecole Nouvelle de la Suisse Romande (ENSR). Sarah, the woman I just met two days ago watched the boys!!! I know, crazy, but it was nice to not have to take them! Again I was more nervous than Zoe, and Dan was nervous too because we cut time a bit short and he wasn't exactly sure he remembered how to get there. But we did.
ENSR is a large campus with many buildings. Zoe's building is pink! She is in room 1B and her teacher's name is Madame Milliquet. We entered the classroom and Zoe sat at a desk in the last row. Her teacher gave us a packet of her schedule. Mme Millequet went through the schedule and basic information. I didn't understand anything, again, big surprise. Dan seems to pick up quite a bit and I'm insanely jealous. So Zoe's schedule is as follows:
General classes from 9:00-11:50 and 1:15 - 2:45 (Wed. school is only from 9-12:30)
Sport on Thurs; English 4 days/wk.; Musique on Tues.; Bibliotheque 1x/wk.; Recreation 10:30-11:00
She also has activities after lunch: M/Th Francais pour debutants (French for beginners), T Choeur (Chorus), F Danse classique (Ballet)
After school she has: M Painting in English, T Francais pour debutants, Th Jeux psychomoteurs et rythmiques (games for the body and mind), F Jeux societe (board games)
She will be one busy girl! She has afterschool activities because the van doesn't transport kids right away after school. We found out that Zoe will be picked up at 8:30....I have to have Sam at school at 8:25. SOOOOOOOOOO, that means I either have to see if a neighbor can walk Sam to school, or Zoe will have to wait 15 minutes alone in our lobby for the bus to come. The Swiss are all about their children being independant and letting their kids get to school on their own, but Zoe is completely freaked out about waiting alone in the building. We'll work it out...I'm sure Zoe's grandmas are completely stressed out reading this bit of information. Mom, don't worry!
On another note, we met some kids in her class that speak English! A little girl named Lauren and her mom, Tanya. Tanya has an interesting background. Grew up in Montreal, her mother is Swiss German and lived in Switzerland for many years, married an American, has a house on Martha's Vineyard, lived in Denmark for the last 6 months and is now here! WHEW! She speaks French, Swiss German, and English. She was a great help and also has a 4 year old son. We also talked to a Norweigan mom who speaks English and is married to a German. Her daughter speaks German and English and went to ENSR last year, so now also speaks French. The mom's name is Hege and she lived in Brookfield for a year and worked in Three Lakes for a summer. I forget the name of the company, but small world or what?! We all exhanged phone numbers and emails.
The school will be having a picnic soon and that will be a nice chance to reconnect with these people and meet others. It will be strange for me because I don't know how often I'll be at the school. Oh, and Zoe's teacher is having a baby in Nov. so she will be having a different teacher for the rest of the year!

Zoe is VERY nervous about tomorrow. She is terrorized about eating the school lunch, taking the van, and not speaking French. I know in a week she will absolutely love it, but I suspect there will be many tears tomorrow. Dan is driving her as the van doesn't start until Monday.
ENSR is a large campus with many buildings. Zoe's building is pink! She is in room 1B and her teacher's name is Madame Milliquet. We entered the classroom and Zoe sat at a desk in the last row. Her teacher gave us a packet of her schedule. Mme Millequet went through the schedule and basic information. I didn't understand anything, again, big surprise. Dan seems to pick up quite a bit and I'm insanely jealous. So Zoe's schedule is as follows:
General classes from 9:00-11:50 and 1:15 - 2:45 (Wed. school is only from 9-12:30)
Sport on Thurs; English 4 days/wk.; Musique on Tues.; Bibliotheque 1x/wk.; Recreation 10:30-11:00
She also has activities after lunch: M/Th Francais pour debutants (French for beginners), T Choeur (Chorus), F Danse classique (Ballet)
After school she has: M Painting in English, T Francais pour debutants, Th Jeux psychomoteurs et rythmiques (games for the body and mind), F Jeux societe (board games)
She will be one busy girl! She has afterschool activities because the van doesn't transport kids right away after school. We found out that Zoe will be picked up at 8:30....I have to have Sam at school at 8:25. SOOOOOOOOOO, that means I either have to see if a neighbor can walk Sam to school, or Zoe will have to wait 15 minutes alone in our lobby for the bus to come. The Swiss are all about their children being independant and letting their kids get to school on their own, but Zoe is completely freaked out about waiting alone in the building. We'll work it out...I'm sure Zoe's grandmas are completely stressed out reading this bit of information. Mom, don't worry!
On another note, we met some kids in her class that speak English! A little girl named Lauren and her mom, Tanya. Tanya has an interesting background. Grew up in Montreal, her mother is Swiss German and lived in Switzerland for many years, married an American, has a house on Martha's Vineyard, lived in Denmark for the last 6 months and is now here! WHEW! She speaks French, Swiss German, and English. She was a great help and also has a 4 year old son. We also talked to a Norweigan mom who speaks English and is married to a German. Her daughter speaks German and English and went to ENSR last year, so now also speaks French. The mom's name is Hege and she lived in Brookfield for a year and worked in Three Lakes for a summer. I forget the name of the company, but small world or what?! We all exhanged phone numbers and emails.
The school will be having a picnic soon and that will be a nice chance to reconnect with these people and meet others. It will be strange for me because I don't know how often I'll be at the school. Oh, and Zoe's teacher is having a baby in Nov. so she will be having a different teacher for the rest of the year!
Zoe is VERY nervous about tomorrow. She is terrorized about eating the school lunch, taking the van, and not speaking French. I know in a week she will absolutely love it, but I suspect there will be many tears tomorrow. Dan is driving her as the van doesn't start until Monday.
4 comments:
Zoe good luck cutie! We'll be praying all goes well! You'll be GREAT. You are all so amazing to be taking on all the new changes and in a month you'll all be such pros at everything you'll have forgotten the uncertainty of these first few days! Much love....AM
Your right, mom is concerned. We thought about Zoe all day and were hoping to talk to her via skype. Can't wait to hear of your adventure this afternoon that kept you away from home. You continue to amaze us with all the different things you have been doing. We are sure that things will work out for Zoe getting on the van but so many new experiences all at once....Zoe we are praying for you and know that you will be fine. Sam, I'm sure you took a snack to school today. We love of pictures of your classroom. good luck to all of you. Love to all of you,
Mom & Dad Mc
I was exhausted reading Zoe's schedule,but you will do a wonderful job Zoe. Things just take a little time. Chorus and Ballet would be my favorite learning times. You will shine. Sounds like you and Mom are meeting lots of new people and making great friends. The blogspot is such a wonderful way to share all of this Jen, thanks again. Even brother Ray likes reading about all your adventures and the pictures. Take care. Talk to you soon.
Love, Grandma
Wow Zoe that is a very busy scheudule. But you will manage. I manage soccer, forensics, school, snowboarding and volleyball. It will be easy. You will just need to get used to it. The bus actually isn't that bad so don't worry. You will be fine. Can't wait to here more of your adventures in Switzerland. I soooo wish I was there.
Hayley
Post a Comment