Monday, August 25, 2008

Sam's First Day of School


Sam started school today. He was a bit emotional this morning. When I got out of the shower this morning I found Zoe and Sam in our bed talking. Sam was telling her that he didn't want to go to school. Zoe and I tried to reassure him and by the time we left he was ok. I on the otherhand was a wreck. I didn't expect to become so emotional. Part of me was thinking that I can't believe how fast he is growing, but I think most of my emotion was worry. Worried that he would feel lost, worried that I would feel lost. We arrived at school and the parents and children were all gathered around the courtyard. All I was hearing was French and my panic started to sink in, but I managed to keep it together for Sam's sake.
Parents started filing in and we followed. Dan spotted his teacher's name, Madame Kahn, outside the classroom. Sam introduced himself, in French, and we filed in. The classroom was very welcoming and bright. She had paper and colored pencils set-up at all the desks and so Sam just sat down and started drawing. Madame Kahn passed out a supply list and then talked to the parents for about 10 minutes. Seriously, I didn't even pick up one word. I think that I just become so nervous that I couldn't even focus. I just kept looking at all the other parents and thinking, they understand.

We weren't sure how the day was supposed to go. The normal start time is 8:30, but we weren't to report until 10:00. The parents started leaving and I thought, "oh no, we have to leave him here." He was fine. He didn't cry or look concerned in the least. We got a block away from school and I just lost it. We stopped and bought his supplies and picked him up at 11:50. He was smiling and said his teacher is really nice. Being a four year old boy we didn't get many more details, but there is another boy, Lucas in his class who speaks English. He's British.

Tomorrow is a full morning, so we'll see. It's so bizarre for me! Zoe was a bit jealous of all the attention Sam got today. She said it's not fair that she will NEVER get to ride her scooter to school and she'll always have to take the bus. Life is rough. I'm really proud of Sam.

4 comments:

Hayley Griffin said...

Oh Sam is such a big boy. I was also jealous when my sister got to ride her bike and I had to take the bus. I hope sam has a good day at school. I can't wait until Zoe starts school. I bet she will make friends very easily. Well I miss you all!! Can't wait to see you guys again. Email my mom with more information about how Switzerland is.
HAYLEY

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sam....you looked quite handsome your first day! I love that he came out all smiles and didn't seemed at all bothered by not understanding most of the people....kids....you got to love it! Glad there is another English speaker in the class! Zoe the bus will be great...you'll see a bunch of new places your mom and dad probably don't know about so you can find some new adventure spots for the whole family!

Anonymous said...

Sam, Grandma is soooooo proud of you!! You look so smart in your desk and I'm sure you are. Zoe will like the bus ride to school...just ask Dad about riding the bus to school. He can give you all sorts of tips!?! I just got home from Minneapolis. I was visiting your new cousin. She has very dark hair and eyes and of course is beautiful. Talk to you soon.
Grandma

angelareilly said...

Jen you are a good mama! I can't imagine...I would have cried my eyes out much sooner. It sounds like it went well and that, as usual, kids are pretty good about adapting to new circumstances! Miss you guys!